Press Forward is an initiative founded by current, former and aspiring female journalists with a desire to find concrete solutions to the problems the industry is facing today. Our mission is to change the media industry, through our initiatives, so that newsrooms are safe, inclusive and fair — for women and men alike. We are CEO’s, entrepreneurs, consultants, lawyers, non-profit professionals and working reporters who are passionate about the role the American press plays in a free society and dedicated to maintaining its integrity for service to the American public.
Press Forward officially launched in March 2018 by 12 current and former journalists (we informally launched in December 2017, on the same day Time magazine announced the Silence Breakers as “Person of the Year.”). In three short months, we established Press Forward as a nonpartisan and independent organization, which is being incubated as a fiscally sponsored fund within the Greater Washington Community Foundation. Our goal is to create a blueprint for permanent culture change, adopted by executives at all levels of the industry – from local newsrooms to network newsrooms and, ultimately, scaled to other industries.
The issues we are facing today as a society are not gender issues, not race issues, they are ones of human decency. Together we can Press Forward to a new future in journalism.
Press Forward Team
- Dianna Pierce Burgess, Executive Director
- Carolyn McGourty Supple, Chair
- Dianna Goldberg May, Director of Board Strategy & Legal
- Cary Hughes Weekes, Director of Advancement & Operations
- Gloria Sinclair Riviera, Director of Training Programs
- Shannon Van Sant, Director of Social Media
Diversity Leadership Team
Male Ally Working Group
- Melinda Arons Gloria Sinclair Riviera
- Dianna Pierce Burgess Lara Setrakian
- Kyle Godfrey-Ryan Carolyn McGourty Supple
- Katie Glenn Shannon Van Sant
- Dianna Goldberg May Cary Hughes Weekes
- Eleanor McManus Addie Zinone