Mission, Vision & Values
Press Forward exists to create a safe work environment and elevate the stature of women in the workplace, beginning in the newsroom.
Press Forward envisions a workplace culture in which journalists uphold the integrity of the American press by working together in a way that is safe, fair and void of demeaning, traumatic and illegal behavior.
- Forward-looking: We are founded in a desire to create positive change for the future and find solutions that will prevent harmful or illegal behavior from continuing in the workplace.
- Nonpartisan: Press Forward knows that victims of sexual harassment and assault come from all points of view, cultures and political perspectives. It is a nonpartisan organization that will equally hold accountable news organizations from across the political spectrum. Our media relations and social media efforts will be balanced to reach out to a wide variety of audiences.
- Respectful: We believe members of the modern workforce have shared values of integrity, common humanity and fairness, and in this spirit we will work together to achieve our mission.
- Inclusive: We believe that only through effective collaboration with stakeholders from various viewpoints can positive change occur in the workplace, and will seek out and listen to and attempt to incorporate ideas from persons with varied backgrounds and experiences within our own organization. We believe newsrooms should be reflective of America and are committed to representing a diverse population, recognizing this issue spans across all ethnicities, geographical locations, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Educational: We believe in empowering the public with knowledge on sexual harassment and assault and unhealthy workplace behaviors as a means to understand the issues and then to effect change.
- Integrity: We will do and say what we believe to be the right and ethical things. We will keep our word and be honest in all our dealings.
- Love for Guys: We understand that many good men are suddenly feeling unsure about appropriate behaviors when interacting with female colleagues, and we seek to create safety for them by being a source of education for all men and women on the topic.
- Solutions-Oriented: We are committed to identifying and solving core problems within the workplace that have enabled bad behavior and “toxic” workplace cultures.
- Data-Driven: We seek to use quality data in our research, decisions and industry solutions to ensure we are unbiased and precise in our approach; we won’t let personal experience or bias cloud the results of data-driven findings.
- Commitment to Excellence: We will deploy industry best practice and seek outside advice and expertise to produce the best work possible. Any content developed will adhere to journalistic standards.